Our California weather can be very tough on roofs. Rain and storm damage from falling trees or limbs, to cracked or sun damaged shingles, and loose or worn out shingles, the list goes on… All of which can leave lasting damage and cause a leaky roof. Or perhaps your roof is getting old and is in danger of leaking. You may need a roof evaluation to decide if your roof is leaking and if repairs or replacement will be necessary.
Every year many people are severely injured or even killed from falling off their roofs. The first of the roof safety tips you are strongly urged to follow is: for your own roof safety, consider hiring a professional roofing company to work on your roof. If you insist on working on your leaky roof yourself, you must be careful – here are some roofing safety tips to protect you:
– Begin inside and look for water spots on your walls and your ceiling, look at the parts of your walls and ceilings covered by furniture.
– Go in the attic look for water stains and soft spots in the wood. If you remove any insulation make sure to use gloves, goggles, and a respirator. Turn out the light and check for light streaming in through any holes. Stick some wire through the holes you find so you’ll be able to see them later.
– Outside, do as much roof inspection as possible from the ground using binoculars. You may not even have to go up the ladder, if you can determine problems visually.
– Inspect the ladder, rungs and rails for damage and ensure your ladder is on solid, level ground.
– Secure the ladder at the top to prevent it from slipping. Extend the ladder at least 3 feet beyond the gutter, and angle it 1 foot back from the house for every 4 feet in roof height.
– Use both hands when climbing the ladder and do not get onto the roof without proper harnesses and tie-offs.
About 90 percent of roof leaks are caused by either defective metal flashing or by improper installation of the flashing. Flashing is what is found near any roof penetration area such as around chimney and valley areas. Anywhere that the roof angles join together is susceptible to a leak. It’s rare to find that the actual roofing product has failed but sometimes shingles placed incorrectly, may need to be looked after. If roof shingles are missing, these need to be replaced quickly. Roofs, gutters, flashings, and skylights are the structures that typically receive the most damage during a storm. When it comes to roof repairs, conditions such as roof pitch, the direction of the wind, age and temperature of the roofing material all have an effect on roof safety.
When selecting a roofing company, it is vital to select someone who will offer the best services and roof safety protect your roofing investment. This is why it’s necessary to check the reputation, stability and insurance coverage of the roofing company as well as their workmanship. The more you know, the more likely you are to choose the roofing safety professionals at Hollister Roofing Inc. for your roofing project.